Monday, March 16, 2015

Forget the Frock!!!

It's that time of year again to Forget the Frock!!! This year our family will be participating in this awesome movement yet again! What is it you ask??? Well, you see there was this 10 year old girl named Sydney that had a vision to help orphans in Ghana! She began her own organization to raise money, her foundation is called Feeding the Orphans!

A Note from Sydney

SYD-1
When I was 7 years old, I started praying for a sister to add to my 2 brothers. I would sit for hours and watch videos of orphans and read blogs. Then, when I was 10 years old, my parents finally decided to adopt! As we were waiting for my brother and sister to come home from Ghana, we had one picture of them. That picture was of my little sister holding a tiny piece of bread and she had not eaten in days. That picture inspired me to make a difference.
One night we were driving home from my grandparents’ house and Mom wanted to stop and get dinner. The boys were excited, but I refused to eat. I asked Mom if we could buy bread for me instead. She said, “Only if you tell me what is wrong.” I looked at her with tears streaming down my face and said, “WHY SHOULD WE EAT LIKE KINGS AND QUEENS WHEN THEY HAVE NOTHING?”
That night, God told me to design a t-shirt to sell to raise money to provide food, medical supplies, and clean water to the orphans of Africa. I started a blog and named it Feeding the Orphans. My goal was to raise $500 and it was exceeded very quickly. I used the money to buy food and supplies for the orphanages and to feed hundreds of street children when we traveled for my brother and sister’s adoption in September 2010.
Since then, God has continued to break my heart for the orphans and I just want to follow Him. I never thought following Him would lead this to be a non-profit organization.
Please join my family and I on God’s journey to care for the orphans of the world.
Sydney
Three years ago I came across a blog asking that we "Forget the Frock", meaning you stop buying expensive Easter outfits and purchase a tshirt from www.feedingtheorphans.net instead! Brilliant right?!?! This year will be our 4th Easter forgetting our frocks and sporting our Feeding the Orphans tshirts!









I used to spend HUNDREDS of dollars and countless energy trying to find the perfect Easter dresses and matching outfits for our family! I would begin by finding my daughter the sweetest dress I could find and would proceed by endlessly searching for the perfect polos for my boys! Followed by shoes, accessories, etc! Blah!!! It was exhausting!!!

It was liberating to forgo the nonsense!!! Why on earth do people spend hundreds of dollars on a dress that they wear once??? I was guilty too, NEVER again for this family!!! Our money is better spent with Sydney's foundation, a foundation that is very NEAR and DEAR to our hearts! Let's feed those orphans!!!

Will you join us this Easter in forgetting your frock?!?!

No comments :

Post a Comment