Tuesday, June 30, 2015

The Adventures of Tough Mudder Kentucky

Would you think we were totally cray-cray if I told you that Tim and I looked at each other at mile 9 and both agreed that we weren't ready for it to end? LOL! Yeah, that happened!!! I am going to recap our 10 mile adventure!!! It was a physical and mental TEST of endurance but it was soooo worth it and I would totally do it again tomorrow! Or today if I could! ;)

So the first not so cool obstacle was the "Birth Canal!"
Weird right! I know what your thinking, this is an obstacle??? Yes, yes it is! I know now why babies take so long to enter this world, or at least I think I do! Oh my! That was a tight squeeze! Luckily the water in this obstacle was not red, it was clear! I was a little freaked out about this pic!

We endured a couple of wall climbs and then we were on to the "Arctic Enema!" My LEAST favorite obstacle last year! Last year I jumped into the ice and water filled dumpster and took a huge shocking breath in through my nose and my mouth! Yes, I choked on nasty muddy water! Here is a picture of the bad boy!!!


This year they added a chain link fence and you needed to slide into the dumpster! Nice!!! I slid in with my breath held and my nose plugged.  When I came up I wasn't sure where I was and didn't know if the fence was still above me! I lifted my hands in the air to see if I was clear and I was! Thank goodness!!! Next I needed to jump over a wall in the dumpster! 

Last year we had to swim under the wall! Thankful that changed and also thankful that this obstacle was at the beginning of our race!

Our next crazy obstacle was the "King of Swingers!" Insane!!! So you climb up onto a platform where you walk the plank, jump to catch a set of handle bars, those handle bars swing you over to a bell where you are to hit it so it rings, and then you let go and fall into the water below!


I stood on that platform for 10 minutes! Walking out to the plank, looking down and seeing how far the fall was and chickening out, then going back and forth.  At one point, I look over and there is a guy on the side with his head gushing blood.  I felt like I was going to vomit! By this time Tim (my husband) had gone twice.  The third time he came up and told me I was going, I would regret it if I didn't (I already knew this in the back of my mind)! So we walked out to the plank together, side by side, I closed my eyes, opened them and focused on the handle bars, and I JUMPED!!! I caught them!  Wahoo!!! I did it!!! And Tim was right, I was sooooo glad I did!!!

Next up, "The Funky Monkey 2.0!!!" Ugh!!! I have a love/hate relationship with this obstacle! 
In this one you climb the monkey bars to the middle, grab handle bars that swing you over to the pipe and make your way across the pipe to the platform on the other side!

Again, I had cold feet! I stood there and went back and forth for what seemed like forever! The volunteer next to me told me to "Do it for (her) because I can't!" Ok, you've got it sister!!! So I was easily able to get myself up to the center, I reached for the swing, swung across and grabbed the pole with TWO stinking fingers!!! I tried to adjust so that I could get a better grip.  NOTHING!!! I reached with my right hand to go for the pipe and fell.  Disappointed??? YES, but I got further than I did last year so I was still very proud of myself! I still wish I had gone back and attempted again!

Then the "Hold Your Wood" obstacle! Funny right?!?! 
Tim and I had to carry a log about 50 yards! At that point we were to put the log through a hole in a wall without actually touching the wall.  Then we were to walk another 50 yards and toss the log over a wall and climb over that wall.  After that we were to carry the log another 50 yards.  Let's just say this was the most physically demanding obstacle.  Most teams had 3-4 MEN, Tim and I had each other! Tim was pretty impressed that I was able to hang!!! BEAST MODE!!!

As a legionnaire (a 2 time Mudder or more) we had the opportunity to do a legionnaire ONLY obstacle! That obstacle..."Dead Ringer!" Straight out of American Ninja Warrior!  
After completing this obstacle we had the option of heading to the finish line or going back for Electroshock Therapy! Can you guess what Tim demanded we do??? HA!!! Boy did he regret it!!!  He insisted we head back to "Electroshock Therapy!" 

This year's obstacle, MUCH WORSE than last year's!!! The shocks were stronger and there were more of them!  So Tim's bright idea....not such a good one!!! I ran through the obstacle getting shocked so many times I lost count.  Tim on the other hand got shocked in the jugular and man went down.  You know those funny YouTube videos of this obstacle with the man bobbing up and down with his face going in the mud multiple times??? Yeah, that was Tim!!! HA!!! All I could do was stand there and laugh at him! Probably not funny, right???

Once we finished the "Electroshock Thereapy," we were finished! We finished around the same time as we did last year 2 hours 38 minutes! Looking forward to our next Mudder! Hoping to complete one this Fall but FIRST on to the Spartan at the end of August!!! 

I am so very thankful for my husband and how he entertains my adventurous side! I thanked him all throughout the race for supporting my crazy ideas!!! This is the stuff that brings us closer together!!!

No comments :

Post a Comment